SVMI / Senior Volunteers for Migrant Integration
Erasmus+ programme / Strategic partnerships
SVMI / Senior Volunteers for Migrant Integration
Background and target groups
- Europe is facing the biggest migrant crisis since the end of World War II: never before have so many people fled political persecution and war as today.
- At the same time, EU countries encounter the challenge of an aging population, with the number of elderly people growing steadily in relation to the working-age population.
- However, many of the retired Europeans still have potential if not to stay in the workforce, then to contribute to the society in many other ways, such as active citizenship and volunteering.
The project is aimed at fostering the development of social, civic, intercultural, volunteering competences by providing representatives of both target groups with unique opportunities to integrate and reintegrate into the society, and at the same time providing mutual support to each other and to the society.
To solve these critical challenges the project addresses two main target groups:
- Elderly people
- Migrants and refugees
Main goals of the project:
- to contribute to the successful integration of migrants and/or refugees into the host societies with the help of seniors
- to tackle the social exclusion of older people through volunteering services to migrants
To accomplish the project goals the partners will undertake the following objectives:
- strengthening senior volunteers’ active citizenship and volunteering skills through training based on the training programme developed by the partnership
- enhancing host country language learning and the orientation process of migrants/refugees through the provision of a developed social and civic integration tool–guide for migrants (App) as well as offering teaching/ mentoring support by the trained senior volunteers
- raising public awareness on the issues related to migration and aging societies
- Project website.
- Methodology and a 20 hour training programme consisting of 5 modules for senior volunteers providing support for migrant and refugee integration.
- Training material for teaching senior volunteers.
- Social and civic integration tool – guide for migrants and refugees in App format available for free download: helping them to acquire basic knowledge and understanding about the host country's sociocultural life; containing a basic conversation kit with animation in partner languages and English.
- Exploitation – contact seminars in each partner country to demonstrate the practical use of a Mobile application (App) and the senior volunteers’ training program to relevant stakeholders and to establish a connection between service providers - trained senior volunteers and potential "clients"- migrants and/or refugees as well as representatives of organizations providing services for migrants.
- Final international conference for representatives of the organisations working in the field of refugee and migrant integration, civic society, active aging, education:
- a) The keynote speakers will be invited to share their experience on the situation related to volunteering and migrant integration on EU level.
- b) The trainers involved in the testing of the programme and the material will run practical workshops for representatives from education institutions.
- c) Senior volunteers will be invited to reflect upon their experience in establishing contacts with migrants and refugees in their countries.
- Soros International House (project coordinator), Lithuania
- Medardo Coboto Treciojo Amziaus Universitetas, Lithuania
- ifa Akademie, Germany
- Anmiro Oy, Finland
- DIAN, Greece
- GSVO 95, France
On 6 November 2019 SVMI project presented in Athens, Greece
On 24-25 October 2019 SVMI project presented in Berlin, Germany
On 3-4 October 2019 SVMI project presented in Reykjavik, Iceland
On 27 September 2019 SVMI project presented during the seminar of LieDM association in Klaipeda, Lithuania
The International Final Conference of SVMI project and partner meeting were organised in Vilnius, Lithuania (12-13 September 2019)
On 3 July 2019 SVMI activities were presented in Pasvalys, Lithuania
On 6-7 June 2019 SVMI activities were presented in Rome, Italy
On 30-31 May 2019 SVMI activities were presented in Braganca, Portugal
On 5-8 May 2019 SVMI activities were presented during the annual Directors Conference of IH World Organisation in Catania, Sicily
On 27-28 April 2019 SVMI activities were presented during the fair in PLC "Panorama", Vilnius
"SVMI" project partner meeting took place in Athens, Greece on 29-30 November 2018
On 15-19 October 2018 Soros International House and Medardas Čobotas Third Age University organised Piloting training for Senior Volunteers in Vilnius, Lithuania
SVMI activities were presented at the Meeting of Council of the National Third Age Universities, which took place in Molėtai, LT on 11-12 September 2018
Our Finnish partner Anmiro Oy successfully presented and promoted the SVMI training programme for members of Raisio Pensioners' Association on 30 Aug 2018, in Raisio Finland
On 27 August 2018 SVMI team in Lithuania came together to discuss the upcoming project activities
SVMI presented during the World Refugee Day Celebration in Paris on 20 June 2018
SVMI project presented during General Assembly of European Association for the Education of Adults (EAEA) in Tallinn, Estonia on 27-28 June 2018
Project presented during Erasmus+ KA2 project's Keep50+ 2nd National Workshop in Vilnius, Lithuania on 19 and 25 June 2018
SVMI project presented in Širvintos, Lithuania on 19 June 2018
SVMI presented during the international fair "Studies 2018" in Vilnius, Lithuania
SVMI Kick Off meeting was held in Vaureal, France (30 November - 1 December, 2017)