Erasmus+ programme / Strategic partnerships
VR@School: Future schools using the power of Virtual and Augmented Reality for education and training in the classroom
Duration of the project: 01/09/2018 - 28/02/2021
The main goals of the project:
In today’s digital world, teachers are struggling in finding new ways to engage students. When home technologies such as mobile phones, tablets and games consoles are highly advanced, widely available and hugely popular with young children, finding educational engagement with technology in the classroom can be even harder, especially if the technology deployed there is less engaging than that of technology children use at home. Currently, the use of ICT in teaching and learning activities in EU is low, with only about 50% of students being taught by teachers, who use ICT in at least 25% of their lessons.
Virtual Reality can become an innovation and an added value in school education, can deliver experiences and interactions for students that are either not practical or not possible in the ‘real world’, provides an unparalleled way to immerse and captivate students of all ages. Virtual Reality can become a teaching methodology which helps students feel immersed in an experience, gripping their imagination and stimulating thought in ways not possible with traditional books, pictures or videos, and facilitates a far higher level of knowledge retention. Enhancing and extending the learning experience is at the heart of what Virtual Reality can offer students, and is possibly one of the most powerful of all technologies that could help change how we learn forever.
Virtual Reality teaching methodology in schools bring a huge impact for different sectors of teachers and students, and we can even more think of how much impact and benefits can bring to the students with lower opportunities, from disadvantages areas/schools, with disabilities, in dropout situations or with poor school performance.
Introducing a new concept in educational technology: Virtual and Augmented Reality, the VR@School project creates a complete different classroom. VR@School is a ground-breaking project offering a student-teacher friendly interface, practical resources and guidelines, embedded educational resources and simple-to-use VR lessons designed to help raise engagement and increase knowledge retention for students.
The main target groups:
- Teachers (including science teachers)
- Students (secondary school)
- Students with lower opportunities, from disadvantages areas/schools, with disabilities, in dropout situations or with poor school performance
- School principals
- Trainers in school education
To accomplish the project goals the partners will undertake the following objectives:
- Open up teachers to use of new technologies & online educational resources in their classes by offering them a ready-made collection of online tools & platforms to facilitate & the teaching process &attract pupils to become more motivated & involved in learning
- Train teachers with the Virtual &Augmented Reality use in the classroom & motivate them to use this technology in the classroom
- Develop VR lessons for science disciplines & for transversal topics with impact on a student’s development such as: motivation to study/ job orientation/foreign languages/inclusive education/ prevention of school dropout
- Guide school principals & teachers on how to implement the VR School Laboratory in their schools
- Implement VR School Laboratories in the partners’ schools & organize simulation lessons for science & transdisciplinary school disciplines using VR
On 21 April 2020, 'VR@School' project presented during the Board Meeting of LieDM association
On 13-14 February 2020, the third meeting of the project 'VR@School' was organized in Florence, Italy
On 7-8 February 2020 VR@School project presented in Rumšiškės, Lithuania
On 21-22 November 2019 VR@School project presented in Iasi, Romania
On 6 November 2019 VR@School project presented in Athens, Greece
On 24-25 October 2019 VR@School project presented in Berlin, Germany
On 3-4 October 2019 VR@School project presented in Reykjavik, Iceland
On 16-20 September 2019, the VR@School project short-term joint staff training event on New Technologies and Virtual Reality use in the classroom was held in Iasi, Romania
On 3 July 2019 VR@School activities were presented in Pasvalys, Lithuania
On 6-7 June 2019 VR@School activities were presented in Rome, Italy
On 30-31 May 2019 the second meeting of the project “VR@School” was organized in Bragança, Portugal
On 13-14 December 2018 a kick-off meeting of Erasmus+ project „VR@School" was organized in Iasi, Romania